The Tricerchi family was a part of the Sienese oligarchy, as shown by their membership of the ‘Monte di Nove’ which, from the twelfth century, monopolised control of Siena.
Their members were the ‘Provveditori delle Biccheme’, a body approved by the Constitution, which took care of the finances of the Republic and depended on the monks of San Galgano (considered the least corruptible).
Under the Grand Duchy, they were elevated to noble rank and continued to carry out important tasks associated with public administration such as recruitment and culural activities.
Men-at-arms from the Tricerchi family fought in a number of battles, including the Battle of Monteaperti which took place on September 4th 1260, and mention should be made of Alessandro, a knight of ‘degli Alti Pensieri’ whose motto was ‘ Non in latera pro nos’.
In the seventeenth century Carlo Tricerchi was a patron and dedicated himself to the arts, a fact borne out by a painting from 1650, inspired by the Nativity, which depicts him along with his family.
In 1820 the last of the Tricerchi’s, Porzia, married a baron Finetti. Then, missing a line of descent, the castle passed to a nephew Falzacappa, his wife Maddalena (Nena) and their first born Giulio (Iulio) Squarcia.